Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Message from Heather in Taihape

"I enjoy all of your company when I am walking physically alone, and I feel you all beside me every step of the way."

Dear Friends!

Since I last updated you, I have been walking the most dangerous road in New Zealand, THE DESERT ROAD! It is brutal, it is treacherous and it is deserted. Deserted like a desert. I guess that's why they call it that, because when we were there, it certainly wasn't dry!

The Rangipo desert is another of New Zealand's wild places. Just like Happy Valley, it is unfit for human habitation. That doesn't make it any less worth saving. Fortunately, it is a National Park. Happy Valley, unfortunately, is on a state coal reserve.

It took us three days to walk the desert and the first two days were fine and sunny, we went through a lot of drinking water and were getting a bit worried about our water supplies. Luckily (or unluckily, whichever way you look at things) on the last day it rained. It poured. The wind was behind us, which helped because we had another 30K to walk, one of our longest days yet, so I let the wind carry me. I found out my raincoat wasn't waterproof but that was okay, I had my thermals on and a fire in my belly so I just kept walking. I didn't stop until I reached the desert oasis of Waiouru, where I was too exhausted to pitch a tent and slept in the train station, which also was not very waterproof. You get that on the big jobs.

Since then we have pressed on to Taihape and met plenty of supportive and friendly locals here, I have had a gumboot throwing lesson and plan to come back for the contest on Gumboot day, watch out, I'm ready!

I must move on and continue my korero with my new friend Josh who is taking me to meet some local Muso's because I'm hankering for a jam, so I will speak to you all again from Palmy.

Thanks for your support, I enjoy all of your company when I am walking physically alone, and I feel you all beside me every step of the way.

Peace out,
Heather and the Walk the Walk crew From the Gumboot capital, Taihape, represent!

Heather Simpson
Walk the Walk Organiser

No comments: